Sunday, August 10, 2008

When can Bhutanese refugees reunite

Yesterday, I went to a potluck picnic organized by Nepal Seattle Society. I was suprised by the number of people present and never thought of them being in so large number here in this place. While meeting people in the event I encountered with people from Bhutan in the group. They were Bhutanese refugees to Nepal and were living in the eastern part of Nepal since nearly last two decades. The US government statement of bringing them to US had initiated since the end of 2007. The group I met came last 20 days ago and were placed in Renton and Everett, 15 families were brought in this area. They were excited to be here and were aiming for a bright future of their families. When I talked with one man in his sixties, his family is in disparity, one group is in Bhutan, women members of the family were in Nepal, he himself is in Everett and his sons are placed in Renton. What a critical situation. When can they reunite as a single family, this has been a critical question for me.............. now.........

No comments: